- MAKE TIME TO TRAIN, NOT EXCUSES NOT TO - When you’re busy all of the time with work, kids or other priorities, getting a workout may seem difficult. Use whatever time you have to train. Great workouts can be accomplished anywhere and at any time.
- SET A GOAL. HAVE SOMETHING TO SHOOT FOR AND DON’T DEVIATE FROM IT - Set a goal for yourself and stay with it. Even if you start to mentally negotiate quitting, once you get on the road, don’t turn back. Some of the best runs have been accomplished on the worst days.
- KNOW WHAT YOU’VE ACCOMPLISHED, BUT FOCUS ON THE HERE AND NOW - Despite having accomplished PRs (Personal Records), leave that in the past. Today is today and yesterday was another time too. If you are going to think about what you’ve done, then use it as motivation to propel you forward.
- DON’T BE DETERRED BY OBSTACLES IN YOUR PATH - Lots of obstacles can occur when you go running. People may be in the path slowing you down. You might roll an ankle or take a good spill. If you can get up and wipe yourself off, keep moving.
- YOU CAN REGAIN GROUND - Don’t be discouraged. Sometimes you’ll make up lost ground. Road conditions and weather conditions may change and free you up. Look for those moments and stay positive.
- CELEBRATE - Take a moment to think about what you’ve accomplished and mark it in your mental records.